|Warning! This cupcake recipe contains alcohol. Do not consume if underage.|
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup strong coffee, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Kahlua
Bailey's Irish Cream ButtercreamEdit
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans (24 cupcakes) with paper liners. (You may get a couple extras out of this)
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and set aside. In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy with whisk attachment. Slowly add in sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition. Measure coffee, vanilla and Kahlua and stir together in measuring cup. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the batter and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Add 1/2 the Kahlua mixture, mix until incorporated and repeat alternating flour and Kahlua, ending with flour mixture. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full and bake approximately 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool about 10 minutes and transfer to wire racks to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter on medium speed until smooth. Add Bailey's and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Add powdered sugar, 2 cups at a time, mixing on low speed until frosting is the desired consistency. Pipe onto cupcakes as desired. I piped these with a large star tip.