A Chocolate Cream Filled Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Frosting Cupcake is a small twist to the original vanilla cupcake.
For the Cupcakes
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
For the Filling
- 1 teaspoon water, hot
- 3½ ounces marshmallow fluff
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk or cream
- Heat the oven to 350 F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until well blended.
- In a small bowl cream together the butter and sugar until well combined and lighter in color. Add the eggs and whisk until completely incorporated into the butter mixture. Whisk in the buttermilk.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and whisk until just combined and no large lumps remain. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when pressed gently in the center.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for five minutes then carefully transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients for the filling and whisk until completely mixed. Place the filling into a pastry bag fitted with a medium sized star tip.
- Once the cakes are cooled completely take a small paring knife and poke it into the center of the cupcake in a cross pattern about 1 inch deep. Take the pastry bag and place the tip into the cross and pipe in about one tablespoon of filling, or until the filling just starts to come out of the hole. Clean off the tops of the cupcakes before frosting.
- In a medium bowl combine the butter and vanilla bean paste. Add the powdered sugar and ¾ of the milk. Whisk to combine. If the frosting seems stiff add the remaining milk. Frost the cupcakes as desired.