Cherry Nut Cupcakes are cherry cupcakes with nuts!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cherry syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup finely chopped cherries
- Pink or white icing
Credits: American Girl mini-book Molly's A+ Partner
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Put a sifter to a medium mixing bowl. Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt to the sifter. Stir them in the bowl.
- Measure the sugar and shortening into a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat the mixture until fluffy. Add the eggs, and beat for 1 more minute. Use the rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl after beating.
- Add the milk, cherry syrup, almond extract, and half of the dry ingredients to the shotening and sugar mixture. Beat well. Add the remaining dry ingredients, and beat again.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in the nuts and 1/2 cup of the cherries.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners until each is about 2/3 full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes. Use potholders to remove the cupcakes from the oven.
- Poke a toothpick into the center of one cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Set the cupcake pans on a rack to cool.
- After 10 minutes, take the cupcakes out of the pans. Let them cool on the rack, then frost them using a butter knife. Use the remaining chopped cherries to decorate the cupcakes.