- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened tart cherries
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Cake Enhancer, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons cherry juice concentrate
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour Blend
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan, or line with papers.
2) Using a food processor or blender, finely chop the dried cherries with 1/4 cup of the sugar.
3) Beat the butter and remaining sugar until the mixture lightens in color and texture, about 90 seconds.
4) Add the oil, and beat until the mixture is light, around 60 seconds.
5) Beat in the sugar/cherries, cake enhancer, salt, baking powder, baking soda, almond extract, and cherry juice concentrate.
6) Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl after each addition.
7) Gently beat in the flour, alternating it with the milk.
8) Divide the batter among the cups. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until cupcakes are very light brown and test done with a cake tester.
9) Remove the cupcakes from the oven and after 5 minutes, transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
10) To make the frosting, make our Quick Buttercream Frosting, substituting 2 tablespoons cherry juice concentrate for 2 tablespoons of the milk. Frost cupcakes when they're completely cool.